Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wendell Berry: Sunday poem

The present economy by means of its purchase of governmental power, works invariably against the natural world; against working people, small farmers and locally owned small businesses, and against the life integrity, beauty and dignity of communities, both rural and urban. It is destroying our country"
Wendell Berry

The Want of Peace
Wendell Berry

All goes back to the earth,
and so I do not desire
pride of excess or power,
but the contentments made
by men who have had little:
the fishermen's silence
receiving the river's grace
the gardener's musing on rows.

I lack the peace of simple things
I am never wholly in place.
I find no peace or grace.
We sell the world to buy fire,
our way blighted by burning men,
and that has bent my mind
and made me think of darkness
and wish for the dumb life of roots.

No comments: