Sunday, August 22, 2010

In appreciation of sunflowers




























Photos courtesy of John De Bord and Red Bubble and words by Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish.

"Yellow flowers make the room lighter. They are looking at me, rather than me looking at them. They are the first messengers of spring.............. I gaze at the yellow flowers and feel they are lighting me up and dissolving my darkness, and I grow less heavy, finer and we end up reflecting one another....................... If there is any point to jealousy- which is supposed to be the same colour as the sunflower- then it is that we view our surroundings with the heroic spirit of one defeated, and learn to focus on correcting our mistakes in honorable contests."
Mahmoud Darwish
The colour yellow (A River Dies of Thirst)

No comments: