Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Naomi Shihab Nye: Thoughts for Xmas

Like Naomi Shihab Nye my sack of hopes is pretty thin at this time of the year. I find her words and poetry deeply comforting.
"Every year when the holidays threaten to roll around again, I feel utter dismay. I hope they will miss me. People will start asking “Are you ready for Christmas?” again. I have never known what that means. No, I say now. I will never be ready for Christmas in a world of war. I hope, every year, to find a better answer, or to travel to a Buddhist country for December again, or to find a sweeter sensation to keep me afloat during the horridly counted-down days, the obsessively-worried-about-what-to-give-everyone days. I hope for a way to vote more strongly and loudly for peace, and sense, and responsibility, a way to help people who are barely ready for regular days much less heavily-decorated ones, a way to say — Jesus would just hate the fact that someone spent 2 thousand dollars on cutesy lit-up cottages but can’t pay her own utility bills, or, our absolutely broke country seems to be able to find plenty of money to spend on weapons, and smart people continue to defend war, and so forth. It’s such a sad joke, how everybody abuses Jesus and his so-called birthday when people didn’t even celebrate birthdays in his part of the world. Anyway, good luck with your own sack of hopes. Mine are pretty thin this time of year. And some people think I’m an optimist"
 Naomi Shihab Nye

2 comments:

Clare said...

I have had sad (unadmitedlly at the time ) Christmases past But not this year. This year It's just another day. Sure It's special, because I will celebrate it as the nominated day for Christ's birth. but not knowing the actual day is a blessing. Business as usual,... I'll do my best and leave the rest to God I have resolved to try and keep my behaviour and responsibility to my fellow man consistant; as for people who grate my nerves, all one can do is to hold a mirror up to them, and make sure that they know they are being held responsible for their actions

Colin Penter said...

Clare many thanks for your interest and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Business as usual. An excellent philosophy.